NE-Ohio PFLAG Newsletter
Want to know the latest news in the Northeast Ohio LGBT community? Find it in the PFLAG newsletter, published every other month as a joint publication of the Cleveland and Akron PFLAG chapters. PFLAG Cleveland members receive their newsletter conveniently delivered to their email inbox and/or mailed to their home.
Each bimonthly newsletter contains
- Events in the community and on area university campuses
- The most current news affecting LGBT people and their families
- Awards, opportunities and updates on various PFLAG and LGBT-related events which are up and coming!
Our newsletter features stories and articles contributed by members like you! The folder to the right contains an archive of our newsletters dating back to 2008, listed chronologically. If you would like to contribute content to our newsletter, please email Art Thomson (email@example.com) or if you would like to stop delivery of your snail-mail newsletter, contact Deb Kimble (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ohio's PFLAG Chapters
- PFLAG Akron
- PFLAG Athens Area
- PFLAG Cincinnati
- PFLAG Cleveland
- LGBTQ+ Allies Lake County
- PFLAG Columbus
- PFLAG Dayton
- PFLAG Fremont - email only
- PFLAG Kent
- PFLAG Warren - email only
- PFLAG Youngstown
Health and Wellness Resources
Answers to your Questions For a Better Understanding of Sexual Orientation & Homosexuality
- American Psychological Association's Answers to Questions on Same-Sex Marriage
- Strong Families Movement LGBT Health Care Guide - Where to Start, What to Ask: A Guide for LGBT People Choosing Health Care Plans
- "Better Health and Well-Being: Making Improvements for LGBT Americans" - This document summarizes specific actions that the US Dept. Of Health and Human Services has taken through 2011 to promote equal treatment of LGBT Americans, provide enhanced resources for LGBT health issues, and develop better information regarding LGBT health needs.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association - GLMA's mission is to ensure equality in health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and health care providers.
- Hospice of the Western Reserve
- Monthly LGBT Art Therapy Group
- This is a new on-going group for members of the LGBT community. Whether you have lost a partner or other family member, you are welcome in this group. Participants need not have had a hospice experience. Explore a variety of art media and techniques.
- The Elisabeth Severance Prentiss Bereavement Center, 300 East 185th St., Cleveland. Every last Tuesday of the month, beginning March 27th, 2012, 6:30 - 8:30pm. Call Mollie Postotnik at 216 486-6544 or email her at email@example.com to register. Suggested $5.00 donation for supplies.
Religious Groups for LGBT Equality
- Integrity USA - Episcopal group working for the full inclusion of LGBT
- Finding an Affirming Church
- Fortunate Families - Catholic families with gay, lesbian and transgender children
- Diocese of Cleveland - Gay and Lesbian Family Ministry
- Open and Affirming Coalition United Church of Christ
- Brecksville United Church of Christ
- New Ways Ministry - A ministry of advocacy and justice for LGBT Catholics
- Oberlin Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
- Southwest Unitarian Universalist Church - North Royalton
- Reconciling Works - Lutherans for Full Participation
- Dignity - Dignity USA works for the respect and justice for all gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons in the Catholic Church and the world through education, advocacy and support
- Soulforce - Freedom for LGBT people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance
- Faith United Church of Christ - Richmond Heights, Ohio
- Religious Institute - Faithful voices on sexuality and religion
- University Circle United Methodist Church Cleveland
- Shade Tree Community Church
- PFLAG National
- Atticus Circle - a group dedicated to achieving equality for all parents and partners regardless of sexual orientation.
- COLAGE - Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere
- Freedom to Marry
- Gay American Heroes
- LGBT History Month - 31 DAYS. 31 ICONS.
- LGBT National Help Center
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation - GLAAD
- Human Rights Campaign
- ItsPronouncedMetrosexual.com - It’s Pronounced Metrosexual is a site where advocates of social justice can find helpful articles, fun graphics, and other resources designed to be shared in an effort to advance social equity. The "Genderbread" graphic can be found on this site.
- The Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- LAMBDA Legal - Lambda Legal is the oldest national organization pursuing high-impact litigation, public education and advocacy on behalf of equality and civil rights for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people with HIV.
- The Matthew Shepard Foundation - Mission is to support diversity programs in education and to help youth organizations establish environments where young people can feel safe and be themselves.
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- The National LGBTQ Task Force
- Out and Equal Workplace Advocates
- Prayers for Bobby - Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Sigourney Weaver stars in this emotional true story about a 1970s religious suburban housewife and mother who struggles to accept her young son Bobby being gay.
- SMYAL - supports and empowers LGBT youth in the Washington DC area
- Straight for Equality - National outreach and education project created by PFLAG National to empower allies in supporting and advocating for LGBT people
- The Trevor Project - The Trevor Project operates the only nationwide, around-the-clock crisis and suicide prevention helpline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. If you or a friend are feeling lost or alone call The Trevor Helpline.
- Under the Resources tab find " Coming Out as You"
- Tell Three - Take a step toward equality. Pledge to tell three people what it's like for you or your loved ones to be LGBT.
- Straight Spouse Network - The Straight Spouse Network (SSN) is an international organization that provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems.
- Transgender Day of Remembrance - Founded in 1998, after the murder of a transgender woman in Massachusetts, November 20 is Transgender Day of Remembrance. Transgender Day of Remembrance honors those who have been killed because of their gender identity and is observed around the world.
- Transgender Support Groups
LGBTQ Youth Resources
- Advocates for Youth - LGBTQ publications
- Albert Einstein Academy Lakewood Ohio
- Camp Lilac - Our mission is to provide a safe, welcoming space for transgender youth to be themselves in a positive, supportive, youth focused environment.
- GLSEN Northeast Ohio - The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network
- Safe Schools Coalition
- The Safe Schools Coalition is an international public-private partnership in support of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth, that is working to help schools - at home and all over the world - become safe places where every family can belong, where every educator can teach, and where every child can learn, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Safe Space for LGBTQI Hispanic Youth
Groups & Resources for Ohio Colleges/Universities
- University of Akron - Office of Inclusion and Equity
- Baldwin Wallace College - "Baldwin-Wallace Allies"
- Bowling Green State University Division of Diversity and Belonging
- Case Western Reserve University
- University of Cincinnati - LGBTQ Center
- Cleveland State University
- Cuyahoga Community College
- University of Dayton - Spectrum
- John Carroll University Allies
- Kent State University LGBTQ Resources
- Lakeland Community College LGBT Group
- Lorain County Community College PRIDE Club PRIDEClub@lorainccc.edu
- Miami University - LGBTQ Resources
- Oberlin College
- Ohio State University - LGBTQ & Allies Resources
- Ohio University - LGBT Center
- Stark State College
- University of Toledo - Spectrum
- Ursuline College - Allies
- College of Wooster Queer Student Union
- Walsh University
- Wright State University Office of LGBTQA Affairs
- Youngstown State University - Unity
- Campus Pride - The primary objective of Campus Pride is to develop necessary resources, programs and services to support LGBT and ally students on college campuses across the United States.
- College Guide for LGBTQ Students
Greater Cleveland Area Resources
- Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland
- PLEXUS - The Chamber of Commerce for the LGBT Community and Allies
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center of Greater Cleveland
- LGBT Center Spectrum Saturdays
- https://www.facebook.com/SafeSpaceWestSide/ - Safe Space for LGBTQI Hispanic Youth
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association LGBT and Allies
- Cleveland Out and About - an outdoor recreation group for both LGBT and allies.
- TransFamily of Cleveland
- Pride in the CLE
- Gay Men's Discussion Group - Cleveland Pride
- Western Reserve Historical Society LGBT Collections
- Human Rights Campaign Cleveland Steering Committee
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio
- WH2 - The Women's Happy Hour Cleveland
- Asians and Friends Cleveland
- Gay Games 2014 Cleveland + Akron
- Veteran PRIDE - LGBT Support Group at the Louis Stokes VA Medical Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, 216 791-3800 ext 3408
- L.C.A.T.S Lorain County Affirming Trans/Non-Binary Support group.
- All ages safe space for transgender, non-binary, and gender queer individuals and their parents/advocates.
- Meets Tuesdays 7pm @Rainbow Steps of Lorain County
- 345 N. Professor St., Oberlin
- 330 313-4403
- Stonewall Sports Cleveland
- Equality Ohio
- OutSupport Medina
- The Gay People's Chronicle
- BRAVO - BRAVO is your link to survivor advocacy and assistance regarding hate crimes, discrimination, domestic violence, and sexual assault. Founded in Columbus, BRAVO serves the state of Ohio.